What’s REALLY in your water?
You drink water throughout the day since you know it’s essential to good health. You may even avoid drinking tap water and rely on bottled water either due to health concerns or taste.
But have you ever wondered what is IN your tap water, bottled water, or any other water you use and how it might be affecting you?
Over the past year I’ve done a deep dive into toxins and how they affect our health since they may be one of the unexplained WHYs of your health concerns.
Many of us drink filtered water. However, you may not realize that all the water you use may be affecting you. For example, what you wash your food with, the water you bath or shower in, and even the water you use in your organic garden. Water plays a key role in all these areas.
Water has become quite a complicated topic, but I will try to break it down as simply as I can. Tap water comes from your local public water supply and is highly dependent on the state and regional regulations.
Although many claim the water is “treated” contaminants are plentiful – toxic chemicals, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, and microplastics. Contaminants in water have been linked to cancer, thyroid conditions, bone disease, liver and kidney problems, allergies, and gut issues.
So how do you protect yourself from these contaminants without breaking the bank?
- Realize most bottled water is just tap water so best to avoid. If you must buy bottled water (like at the airport) Evian is the safest bet as it’s well-tested (remember it is still in plastic). Before bottled water is delivered to its destination it is usually sitting in a hot truck which can enhance effects of the plastic.
- Have a full house filtration system that filters arsenic, lead, fluoride, atrazine, chlorine, glyphosate (AKA roundup), HAA4, Chromium 6, PFA’s, perchlorate, etc. You may not be familiar with many of these terms, but they are linked to serious health risks. Make sure to do your due diligence.
- Drink filtered water in glass to avoid the plastics.
- If you do not have a full house filtration system have a filter on your shower (remember skin is your biggest organ), and your sink to wash your produce.
- If you’ve been without any of these systems and have unexplained health issues, consider getting tested by Great Plains (a lab which measures water contamination amongst many other important markers) and getting your tap water tested to see what is in your water (companies below).
Part of good health is hydration…with healthy water free of contaminants and toxins. Water is key to life – we can’t take it for granted and in this day and age we need to be conscious and proactive for what we are consuming and bathing in.
There are many filtration systems but here are a few that are highly recommended:
- Clearly Filtered – they have a range of many items – filtration pitchers, ones that are under the sink, convenient carry bottles that have a built-in filtration system. Their systems filter over 365 contaminants. They even have a database on their system that you can put in your zip code and check the water in your area (below).
- Reverse osmosis – usually this type of system filters most toxins, lead, arsenic, chloride, fluoride, etc. and there are many companies that offer these so referrals and research are important.
- Mercola – shower filters and all system filters
- Synergy Science – probably best on the market but also quite expensive.
Here are companies that test your water:
Website to shows what’s in your water by zip code