This holiday season I wanted to create something that felt like a cake of the past. Baking was my passion from an early age. I did not have to give a thought to how low carb a recipe was, or the integrity of the ingredients. My how things have changed!
This recipe was inspired by an Irish chef I work with, Andrew Heffernan, who creates recipes for those with medical issues such as diabetes. The ingredients are everyday ones you have on hand except the vanilla powder. You can use vanilla extract, but this specialty ingredient gives it a little flair and is available online or some grocery stores.
What transpired was a dense cream cake with a strong orange flavor that is both delicious and satisfying. If you want to add a little more decadence add some real whipped cream (no sugar please) with vanilla and put a dollop on top for a little extra celebration. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Orange Cream CakeJump to Recipe
- medium sauce pan
- 8 inch baking pan
- 1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Rind 1 orange
- In a medium saucepan add yogurt, half and half, butter, maple syrup and sea salt and bring to a boil while stirring. Remove from heat and let sit 3-4 minutes.
- Blend together almond flour, eggs, vanilla powder, baking powder, orange rind and yogurt mixture until smooth.
- Butter the bottom of an 8 inch circular tin. Transfer the batter to the pan and spread into an even layer. Bake at 350°F for approximately 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
- Cut into thin triangles and enjoy! You can also lightly dust with confectionary sugar or top with a dollop of real whipped cream if desired.