I don’t know about you, but these last five months have not only been about figuring out the new path for health but also comforts to dial in self-care. Our summer highlights are as follows:
- Oregon Rain Soap – I blogged about this company previously but here’s the update. I heard about Oregon Rain from a client who raved that her son gifted her with these soaps and how thankful she was to have their products. Johnna and Rob Zeigler hand craft all of their soaps, lotions, etc. and put love, care and integrity into their whole line, including some Oregon Rain. From the hand-made soap in the shower, to the creamy lotion afterward, the hand soap pumps, sanitizers, and the “melts” they make, I feel very nurtured by the aromatherapy I’m receiving from these treasured finds. Our favorite soaps are huckleberry, sweet pea, cucumber melon, pomegranate and rain, and they even have a dog soap that Perry actually likes for his bath. Our preferred lotions so far are the Rain, Lilac and Revitalize, and the melts are tulip, gardenia, chai tea and peppermint. You won’t be disappointed whatever you decide to order. Their products make you feel like you are at a decadent spa at a very reasonable prices.
- Upton Tea Imports – This is a company I stumbled upon when all my favorite tea places online were out of tea at the beginning of COVID. I have had tea all over the world (Europe, India, etc.) and am beyond surprised that I believe this is by far the best tea I’ve ever tasted. I’ve now placed a few orders and have found the quality of their products to be very consistent. Each tea paints a story for how it is crafted, the country of origin, if it is organic or not, and optimal brewing time for the best experience. Whether you like Assam (my favorite), green tea, English breakfast, Rooibos, peppermint, chamomile, etc. each one has a rich satisfying taste. The Peach and Apricot teas they sent as samples were excellent as well.
- Omaha Wild Faroe Salmon – From the Faroe Islands between Iceland and Norway, these delicious fillets are fresh (not fishy at all) and each piece gives you at least 2 meals. A nice treat for wild high omega 3 fish during lockdown.
- Feetures – Not a food but rather a sock company. It may sound strange but when you put on these socks they actually “hug” your feet in a very orthopedic way. Although not inexpensive they are guaranteed for life and my feet are much happier when I take my daily walks. They are tailored to each foot as well (they label R and L socks). I’ve thought about throwing out all my older exercise socks as they spoil your feet for others. They are truly a game-changer.
- Cocofloss -I found this company when I was in search for a dental floss that was natural, strong and without PTFEs – the part of floss that helps it glide across your teeth. PTFE’s are man-made chemicals that are in the category of endocrine disruptors which can lead to health challenges in some individuals (discussion too long for this blog but link for more information). I chose the Delicious Mint which is very strong and really gets rid of whatever is in your teeth. I did have it break off a time or two but in general very sturdy, and great ingredients including coconut oil. The research is now strongly pointing toward how essential mouth health is to total body health making flossing and mouth care more essential than ever!
From soap to lotion to smells, protein and socks my comfort finds have helped me through each “groundhog’s day” of COVID, and until we all get to the other side of our new normal hoping one or two of these finds can help you as well. One comfort is that we as a world are all in this together and will hopefully find our collaborative spirit and solution in the coming months. Until our next treasure of finds…