You’ve heard me preach the benefits of protein in many of my articles but this lecture showed it goes beyond even what I realized.
Here are the benefits of eating protein:
- It helps with both physiological and reward-driven eating. This translates to protein helping you feel full when you’re hungry or just have a “craving” to eat
- A higher protein breakfast not only lowers your interest in eating for the entire day but also results in less late night eating
- The satiety we receive from eating protein is more important than how often you eat
- In diets where individuals were allowed to eat whatever they wanted those that ate the most protein lost the most weight, and 80% of the weight was fat loss
- In a study that tested 38 foods, foods with the highest levels of protein resulted in the most satiety
- Those who ate a higher protein snack in the afternoon (at least 14 grams or about 2 slices of cheese) had 20-30% less hunger at dinner resulting in less intake
Take home message? If you want to control both your appetite and weight, protein is essential throughout the day, particularly at breakfast.