Did you Know?
Here are some alarming health statistics in the US you may or may not be aware of:
- Weight is the a biggest health threat in the US, more than smoking, drinking and poverty in the United States
- 70% of people in the US are overweight. Obesity has increased by at least 60% in the last two decades
- 95% of type 2 or adult onset diabetes is caused by obesity
- 80% of cancers are diet related or caused by obesity
- Fake sweeteners are expanding our waist-lines instead of slimming us down
- The fastest growing groups of adult onset or type 2 diabetes are children and adolescents
- This will be the first generation of children predicted to not outlive their parents due to the high-fat, high-sugar, refined-flour diet and our rather sedentary lifestyle
- The average child gets over 50% of their calories from fat and sugar
- 50% of fatigue and depression are caused by poor diets
- 70% of the population do not receive the minimum daily requirements for key nutrients for health
- The average child sees over 40,000 TV commercials with over 80% of food ads promoting junk foods
How do we respond to this health crisis? The problem is multi layered but eating responsibly and holding food manufacturers responsible by refusing to buy their over processed food is a loud way to place your vote. In A Recipe for Life by the Doctor’s Dietitian I give a clear, definitive road map to change the tide on these unfortunate statistics, hoping to lead our population towards health and longevity.